The North Louisiana Football Alliance is the fastest-growing nine-man football league in the United States and is always looking for new officials. To better prepare new officials for each upcoming season the NLFA provides both on-field training and online certification course.
The NLFA provides an opportunity for recreational-level officials to be evaluated by the league to answer one question: Do they have what it takes to officiate in the NLFA?
Once you've signed up to be an NLFA official, you'll study position-specific film with veteran NLFA officials and/or current officiating coaches and trainers, as well as, review NLFA mechanics and analyze the differences in rules between NLFA and other levels of football. New NLFA officials gain experience by:
- Completing the NLFA’s annual preseason officiating course online to begin learning nine-man football rules.
- Participating in NLFA mini-camps and training camps.
- Officiating in an NLFA preseason game.
Requirements for Becoming an NLFA Referee:
To qualify to become an NLFA official the following characteristics are desired:
- Basic knowledge of football
- Having previously officiated the sport (regardless of type or skill level)
- Interact professionally with people in sports
- A fair disposition
- Decent physical health and condition
Previous experience officiating in tackle football programs can be used to reduce the number of training games required.
NLFA officials are required to have a good working knowledge of the rules for nine-man tackle football, therefore an understanding of the nine-man tackle football rulebook is essential. The NLFA will provide all new referees with the official NLFA football rule book at no cost, training is not paid.
NLFA officials can familiarize themselves with the rules here: NLFA Rules. Officials should also familiarize themselves with league policies and some of the potential occurrences of gameplay.
Benefits of Becoming an NLFA Referee
Officiating is a job that has many rewards, such as:
- Refereeing allows you to stay involved in the game longer
- Refereeing allows you to obtain a good working knowledge of the rules, which will provide a more enjoyable playing experience
- Refereeing offers a meaningful form of exercise
- Refereeing provides an interactive pastime
- Refereeing helps to provide a safe and even playing field for participants
- Refereeing is a great way to earn extra money